Almost everyone believes that they are free. Their job is stable, they live in a lovely home, and if they’re lucky, they get 1 to 2 weeks of vacation per year. Can you really call that freedom, though?
Throughout his life, Kevin Koskella has worked to answer this question.
He used to feel trapped in the corporate world, slaving away for money and repeating the same day over and over again. The dot.com crash, however, caused him to lose his job, so he decided to leave corporate life for good.
Despite others’ advice and common sense, he decided to pursue another path. He chose, however, to work part-time as a personal trainer and swimming instructor. In the past few years, his business, Tri Swim Coach, has evolved into a full-time, location-independent online business.
Kevin is an online entrepreneur, a digital nomad, a world-renowned triathlon and swim coach, and the author of The Rebel’s Guide to Freedom. But Kevin also is interested in being location-independent, building businesses, and investing. As such, he started Working Hero in 2017. It helps online entrepreneurs with technical and annoying tasks, so they can focus on what they do best.
Kevin exemplifies independence and autonomy values. Nothing he does contradicts those values. The choice he made to live free was the key to his happiness and confidence.
Our article discusses how Kevin Koskella transitioned from being laid off to starting a profitable online business and how to create your own definition of success.
Make a difference by doing something you’re passionate about.
The dot-com crash and reading books like Rich Dad and Poor Dad made Kevin realize he wasn’t cut out for the corporate world. “So, I was like, man, there’s got to be a better way to do this,” he says. While teaching swimming, he came up with this idea all of a sudden. At the time, that was one of his passions.
It originated because many people coming to him were triathletes and adults looking to improve their swimming skills or learn how to swim for a triathlon, Kevin explains. Kevin eventually launched his own website that taught swimming and wrote his first e-book.
“Even if I’m super poor and I’m making a little bit of money online that I can live off of, that’s much better for me.” Kevin Koskella
If you aren’t clear on how to make a difference and pursue your passion, here are some pointers to get you started:
- Develop a business based on your values. Starting a business that makes a difference in the world is a great way to fulfill your passion. Many businesses are focused on social impact, including philanthropy, fair labor practices, and volunteering.
- Help someone who needs guidance by being a mentor. Mentoring someone who needs guidance if you’re passionate about helping others can be rewarding. You can share your experience and knowledge as a mentor with someone just starting out in their career or life.
- Share your passion with others by starting a blog or social media account. You can start a blog or social media account about a particular topic to share your knowledge and connect with others who share your interests. As a result, your passion can be brought to light in this way, inspiring others to take action and raising awareness.
- Be vocal about the issues that matter to you. Your voice can be used to make a difference if you are passionate about a particular issue. If you would like to get involved, you can write to your representatives, attend protests, or start a conversation with your family and friends.
- Inspire others through your art or music. Using your talents, you can create art or music that inspires others. People can benefit from your work by feeling more connected, discovering beauty in the mundane, or thinking about the world in a new way.
- Donate your time to a cause you care about. Volunteers are needed for various tasks, including assisting children and providing food to the homeless. Don’t be afraid to get involved in a cause you believe in.
The world is full of opportunities to make a difference, regardless of your passion. Finding a way to use your skills and talents in a positive way can be achieved by following your passion. And, in turn, grant you more freedom.
Turning obstacles into opportunities in life.
There will always be obstacles in life, especially in an unfree world. However, any obstacle can be overcome, regardless of how big or small it is. Often, obstacles can be turned into opportunities. To help you do just that, here are a few tips:
- Don’t see obstacles as roadblocks but as challenges. You can open up a whole world of possibilities when you see obstacles as challenges. Consider how you can overcome it, what you can learn from it, and how it can strengthen you.
- Think creatively. Often, there is more than one way to overcome a problem. Think outside the box and be creative. A creative solution is more likely to be found if you are more open-minded.
- Be proud of your accomplishments. Celebrations are essential when you succeed in overcoming an obstacle. Your motivation will increase, and you will be able to move forward.
- Do not hesitate to ask for help. When you need help, don’t be afraid to ask. Your success is essential to those who care about you. If you ask them for advice, support, or resources, they may be able to assist you.
- Be persistent. When faced with an obstacle, it’s easy to become discouraged. However, it is important to remember that we all face challenges. A successful person is one who never gives up. They never give up as they learn, grow, and try new things.
Obstacles do not block the road to success. There is a chance to grow and learn from them. Follow these tips for overcoming obstacles and achieving your goals.
Make the world a better place without sacrificing our freedoms. Changing your idea of freedom starts with you.
“Through the years, I just really honed in on freedom, the idea that freedom is an inside job, like all the politics and all the external factors and things like that are not how we’re going to achieve freedom, both either individually on the individual level or on a bigger societal level. We can’t achieve freedom unless we dig inside and we really figure out ourselves.” Kevin Koskella
In other words, by changing our idea of freedom, we can improve the world without sacrificing our freedoms. The following are a few examples:
- Rather than thinking of freedom as the ability to do whatever we want, we can see it as the ability to live our lives according to our values and beliefs. Respecting the freedom of others means recognizing their rights, regardless of our disagreements. In addition, it means making sacrifices for the greater good.
- Our freedom is not something we are given but something we create. To achieve freedom, we must engage in our communities, speak out against injustice, and work toward improving the world.
- Freedom is not something static; it is something that is constantly changing. Our understanding of freedom must also change as the world changes. We must open our minds to new ideas and new ways of thinking about freedom to improve the quality of life for everyone.
As individuals, we are responsible for changing the way we view freedom. Making the world a better place for everyone is possible when we commit to living free and respectful lives.
Decide what success means to you.
As an individual, you define success for yourself. It’s up to you to define it. “I mean, I never was money motivated, but I was freedom motivated,” adds Kevin. To some extent, freedom requires money. It was clear to him that I had to reach a certain point before I had some freedom there.
However, I believe that success depends on the following factors:
- Focus on setting goals and achieving them. The importance of having something to strive for cannot be overstated. Setting goals gives you a sense of direction and a benchmark for measuring your progress.
- Be driven by a strong sense of purpose. Why do you do what you do? In the morning, what motivates you to get up? Having a purpose in life can provide meaning and direction to your life.
- Keep a positive attitude and be content. There is probably no more important thing than this. No amount of material possessions or achievements can make you truly successful if you are unhappy with your life.
- Stay true to yourself. Living authentically means living according to your values and beliefs. It means being your own person and not being dictated to by others.
- Make a positive impact on the world. A social enterprise can be anything from volunteering your time to starting a nonprofit. By making a positive impact on the world, you are making a difference on a much larger scale than yourself.
- Surround yourself with positive people. You can achieve success by spending time with the right people. Make sure you surround yourself with people who support you and believe in you.
- Learn and grow. Throughout our lives, we learn and grow; it is important to never stop learning. Step outside your comfort zone and challenge yourself to try new things.
- Maintain a persistent attitude. You will have times when you want to give up. Persistence, however, will eventually lead to success.
The definition of success is ultimately up to you. You don’t have to settle for any particular definition as long as you’re satisfied.
To help you define success, you can ask yourself the following questions:
- Which values do I hold dear?
- What are my goals?
- Is there anything that makes me happy?
- What is my life’s purpose?
- What kind of impact do I hope to have on the world?
Once you understand what is important to you, you can begin to create a definition of success that is unique to you.
Think outside the box, and don’t be afraid to take risks. To live a fulfilling and financially rewarding life, you must do both.
How much freedom will you get by doing things the same way you’ve always done them? asks Kevin. According to him, traditionalist thinking is what has held humanity back.
As such, a fulfilling, free, and financially rewarding life requires thinking outside the box and taking risks.
- Thinking outside the box involves being creative and innovative. In other words, it means challenging the status quo and developing new ideas. As a result, we can find new solutions to problems from various perspectives and pursue new opportunities.
- Risk-taking involves trying new things and stepping outside of your comfort zone. You also need to be willing to fail if you want to succeed. To learn and grow, you must be willing to fail. The only way to achieve freedom is to take risks.
The downside of taking risks is that you may lose something. It is possible to lose your job, your reputation, and even your money. Although taking risks can be risky, the potential rewards are often more significant than the risks. By taking risks, you can accomplish great things. For example, you might start your own business, invent something new, or live a more fulfilling life.
If you’re looking for a fulfilling and financially rewarding life, you shouldn’t be afraid to think outside the box. Ultimately, it will be worthwhile even if it isn’t always easy.
Featured Image Credit: Photo by Gelatin; Pexels; Thank you!